Friday, July 20, 2012

Manama Dead #1

Noise. All I can hear is THAT noise. As I lie against a Saudi vehicle parked behind an age old hotel called Delmon, that's all I can damn hear. Gone are the blazing exhausts that litter the highway close by, the honkings of the locals at stores, irate drivers or women. All replaced by a cloud of quiet, filled with shuffled feet and moans. It's constant, save for the the blood curdling screams of someone who couldn't make it.

All of this happened so fast, it rose like wildfire taking Bahrain by storm. People couldn't adjust, couldn't believe. Some even called it conspiracy of the west or other damn nonsense. It just made it easier for 'them' and harder for 'us'.

Sigh. I can't think of this now. I have to keep alert. God knows what's happening next. I keep the metal bar I found earlier close as  I take corner views from my position to see if the place is clear. All ahead is just a narrow one way road leading to the Gold Center of the Capital, all strife with abandoned cars and the rubbish that's nature to the area. Knowing that I needed cover, I decided to head for Gold Center as it looked safe enough considering I was so far from home. Bracing bar in hand, I edged away from the car and inched step by step towards my goal, looking at every corner and dark spot between cars hoping to avoid any ambush. Reaching half way, I saw an old bar that I used to haunt, Diggers, a place rife of the men and women prowling the night which did the name justice. As the memories flow backed in, the door flowed open. A bartender, running out bleeding and screaming, saw me and ran towards me. Knowing this was not good, I ran towards the my goal and away from his as fast as possible. I could hear my lungs fighting for air while the bartender kept screaming out. I heard more stampeding feet, growling and moaning which eventually drowned the screaming voice behind me. 

Not looking back, I reached the damn building and found that it been shuttered off. Not trying to panic, I ran across trying to find an opening that could bear haven for safety and then I saw it. A small window above some of the shutters that was not closed off like the others. I reached it by climbing a nearby post and shuffling my self till I could break the window with my bar in tow. Once cleared of any shards, I head in and jump to the floor basked in dim light. As I brush off the dirt and cool, I realized my mistake. My 50 damn mistakes. All of them, standing right there looking at me. Rotting, bloodied and hungry. 

The only thing I could say, was "oh shit".



No comments:

Post a Comment